When the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed there were certain requirements placed on health plans guaranteeing health benefits. Going into the 2016 open enrollment all plans will be ACA compliant within this upcoming year. Currently there are still plans out there that are “pre-ACA” which an individual or family would have enrolled in before the ACA was passed and continued coverage through 2015.
With ACA compliant plans there are 10 essential health benefits that are included under each plan that you may not know about. Here’s the list from HealthCare.gov:
- Outpatient care—the kind you get without being admitted to a hospital
- Trips to the emergency room
- Treatment in the hospital for inpatient care
- Care before and after your baby is born
- Mental health and substance use disorder services: This includes behavioral health treatment, counseling, and psychotherapy
- Your prescription drugs
- Services and devices to help you recover if you are injured, or have a disability or chronic condition. This includes physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, psychiatric rehabilitation, and more.
- Your lab tests
- Preventive services including counseling, screenings, and vaccines to keep you healthy and care for managing a chronic disease.
- Pediatric services: This includes dental care and vision care for kids
It’s good to inform yourself of what’s included on your plan as these preventative services are to be gives without charging a copayment or coinsurance even if you have not met your deductible.
To see a list of preventative healthcare for ADULTS click HERE
To see a list of preventative healthcare for WOMEN click HERE
To see a list of preventative healthcare for CHILDREN click HERE
Did you know that your Affordable Care Act compliant plan included the above? If you did, are you taking advantage of all of your benefits? If you didn’t, will you start taking advantage of them now?